Dec 8, 2010

Turnip Pudding蘿蔔糕


Turnip pudding is one of the Chinese traditional foods~ Making turnip pudding was a complicated process in the old days. We need to cut white radishes into thin slice, grind rice using the stone grinder to make the rice paste and bla bla bla… Everything was done by hand. It must taken hours of work to make turnip pudding. It is easy to make turnip pudding these days. The food processor shreds the turnips in a few minutes and the rice powder is available in packages.

My neighbor beside my home in Jiuqiong Lake will cook turnip pudding almost everyday~ they cook for sell to tourist who travel to Jiuqiong Lake~ They are using the half traditional way to cook turnip pudding. Why I say so? This is because they didn't use rice flour which buy from market but grind rice by using a machine to make the rice paste. I went to have a look and took some pictures to share with you all, the process how to make turnip pudding~

Ingredients: white radishes, rice, salt, pepper, water

The process:
1. Peel and shred the white radishes



             2. Grinding rice using a machine to make the rice paste





Rice paste~

Smooth~

      3. heat a large wok. Add the white radishes and season with salt and pepper. Cover the pot and cook the white radish on low heat till soft. This takes about half an hour. Give it a stir once in a while.

Add white radishes~

Stir~

Add salt~

Add Pepper~
      
      Note: They didn't use neither animal oil nor vegetable oil when making so that is suitable for vegetarian and healthy ^.^
      
      4. Pour the rice paste slurry into the white radishes. Cook the mixture on low heat. Keep stirring until the paste and turnips are mixed together evenly. Put the pudding into heat proof dishes for steaming.


      I had miss this part~ So I grab this picture from website~~~~
       
      To serve: cut into chunks, steam to heat it and eat with soy sauce or Cut into thick slices and pan fry.




P/S: Try to make it by yourself if you are interested ^.^ I knew how to make turnip pudding after I saw the process but I don’t think I’m able to make it by myself :P

No comments:

Post a Comment